Friday, May 20, 2005

Summer Walking Thoughts

This evening I took a walk down to the store. This was a journey of maybe five blocks at best, but it reminded me of walks I had taken years ago. The honeysuckle was in bloom and I could smell the pollen in the air like a gauzy olfactory blanket hanging over the city. There was a slight breeze and I could smell marijuana wafting down from the windows of the houses that the college kids rent on this block. I could hear them arguing happily in their rooms and I wondered if I would ever have that sort of relationship again; the kind of friendship based in having un-colonized hours to spend together.
I sometimes wonder what happens to these thoughts when so much of my mind seems to be occupied by other things. Do they cease to exist? Or does that part of my mind that seems to be constantly occupied by politics and advertisements and general crap represent who I really am?

No comments: