Thursday, August 18, 2005

Bill Owens "America" Series and My Dreams

Last night, as I was falling asleep, I visualized a school dance in the mid-1970s, with all the boys wearing those plaid dress pants that I used to see as a little kid. It was all shot with that documentary glare that you used to see when cameras had a row of floodlights screwed to them. Remember that? When subjects in documentaries looked like they were in the headlights of a car? Anyway, today I found an image nearly identical to my dreams.
Here.
From the James Cohan Gallery's current show of Bill Owens' photography. Owens did some pretty remarkable work in the 60s and 70s. I'll try to post some here. Anyway, it's unnerving when the visions in your subconscious are shared by others. Maybe there's a collective subconscious store of images of suburbia at 3 am.

No comments: