Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Grad School Advice #6

Here's something that I believe, but for some reason, I never hear academics say it:

Do not rule out teaching at private high schools or community colleges.

Everybody wants tenure at an ivy league school. But, most academics will never get that. So, for some reason, fresh PhDs tend to wait around for entry-level or tenure-track university positions. With the job market the way it is, that can take several months and, in that time, your long-suffering spouse has to pay the bills.

Meanwhile, the local community college pays just as much as the local university does, and almost never requires professors to publish or perish. Moreover, the local private school pays more than your average university and would kill to have a PhD on their staff. And I know that grad students hate to hear this, but you can actually make more money as an adjunct than you can as a tenure-track instructor. Sure, you have no job security or prestige. But, sometimes, you've got to eat more than you have to further your career.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the technology jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for human resources
since my keyword "customer care jobs" did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!

Anonymous said...

John, hope all is well with your" legal jobs" search.
Maybe you can find looking for "careers" at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wonderful site. Although I did not find admin jobs as a directmatch to your site, I did however enjoy the career advice from other posts.
Thanks again for being here!

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the technology jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for human resources
since my keyword "customer care jobs" did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!