Monday, December 17, 2007

Have you have been an un-American? / Just you and your idol singing falsetto

Here we see Abe Vigoda-impersonator Joseph Vento of Gino's Steaks and Unsolicitated Opinions in Philadelphia, with the sign he's currently fighting the city for the right to display in his store. Some people say it makes them feel uncomfortable; others say it keeps the line moving; others ask if it's a bit dopey to assume that people who can't speak English can read English; and others just ask what is up with those damned quotation marks?

I tend to believe that store owners should be permitted to put up whatever idiotic signs they want to, and I should be permitted to skip out on eating at their restaurants because of the idiotic signs they put up. I can't imagine there's a serious legal issue here really, especially as he's a private business owner and he's not denying service to anyone.

To be honest, what really bugs me about this sign isn't the juxtaposition of the eagle and flag with a chauvanistic Archie Bunkerism; it's the bizarre quotation marks. Again, people, if you want to tell someone else to speak English, there's no reason to say, When Ordering "Speak English". It gives the impression that you are either: being ironic, or that this is some sort of secret code. "Speak English"- wink, wink, nudge nudge. (I really mean "we sell drugs!")

I will not point out the obvious irony in the guy degrading the English language in his campaign to protect the English language. Okay, yes I will.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I guess it'd be a little tiny bit better if the sign said to speak American.

Brian Dunbar said...

I can't imagine there's a serious legal issue here really, especially as he's a private business owner and he's not denying service to anyone.

I don't live there but ..

It could be argued - and no doubt will by those who are professionally offended - that he's denying service to non-English speakers or in some way denying service by establishing a hostile atmosphere.

People that run city hall like to sink their meathooks into everthing. My wife had a shop in a small town of 20,000. In a place that was desperate to attract business downtown, that had an entire employee dedicated to that task - she had to wait for the sign inspector to approve her sign before it could be hung. This guy had to physically show up and sign off on it.

A small thing, sure. But this guy also had authority over all signage on public display.

Rufus said...

Holly: The eagle needs a trucker cap I think.

Brian: I wonder what the guy got paid.

Brian Dunbar said...

Brian: I wonder what the guy got paid.

Not much - city employees here don't make nearly as much as they could working for a private company.

I should add that the guy - as were all of the people that worked for the city - was a nice guy