Friday, December 12, 2008

R.I.P. Betty Page

Pinup icon Betty/Bettie Page has passed away at age 85.

My favorite quote in the AP article was from a fellow who arranged an autograph signing with Ms. Page:
He said she was a hit and sold about 3,000 autographs, usually for $200 to $300 each.
"Eleanor Roosevelt, we got $40 to $50. ... Bettie Page outsells them all."


Admittedy though, Eleanor Roosevelt bondage pics sell pretty well...

Update- What is Pop, whose film blog is always interesting and entertaining asks if Ms. Page was in any mainstream movies. I'm not sure- I can't think of any, but she has been in mainstream documentaries about her modeling days, and she herself went more mainstream after becoming a born again Christian. Does anyone else know if she ever made any mainstream movies?

She was, however, in a movie called Striporama, and I bought one of the original posters for the movie about a decade ago- once upon a time, movies actually travelled from town to town, as did the posters for those movies; so I imagine the thing is valuable. However, I haven't had any luck whatsoever in finding out what it's worth. Anyone know about that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Page starred in a few mainstream movies too, didn't she?