Thursday, April 16, 2009

Redacted?

Should the public stop hoping for change? Glenn Greenwald explains why today is a big test for the Obama administration. And Andrew Sullivan explains why this is a "moment of truth" for the President. It's also, frankly, a big test for the rule of law in the United States. We shall see how this shakes out, eh?

Update: Good news- President Obama passed the test. The memos are released, along with a clear statement. This is what qualifies as a "good first step". I'm actually glad that I didn't make bets on that happening in the original post. I was not at all optimistic (to say the least) that these memos would be released today, much less so unredacted. But, I decided to suspend judgment, because I'm starting to wonder if my usual cynicism isn't a little blinding.

Greenwald: ''Obama did the right thing by releasing these memos, providing all the information and impetus the citizenry should need to demand investigations and prosecutions. But it is up to citizens to demand that the rule of law be applied.'' Damn straight.

2 comments:

Brian Dunbar said...

I didn't vote for the man. But I really thought he would be different.

Rufus said...

Today he was. Tomorrow who knows.